Stop Methadone Deaths

To discuss and make the public aware of methadone dangers.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A Call For Voices *This is a call for voices. If you are a loved one of someone currently using methadone, or a loved one of someone who has passed away because of methadone use I would love to hear from you. I am a documentary filmmaker working one a film that will expose the realities of methadone and the effects it has on our society. I am asking for stories to share that will help reform regulation of this drug, and also take away the social stigma of what it is to be on methadone. * * * *My commitment to this film comes from a very real place in my life and the life of my family. My father has been on methadone for over 35 years. My brother for five. My family battles regularly with the health issues methadone creates for both my father and brother, as well as the social stigma's that come along with someone on this medication. * * * *I am driven to explore all angles of the methadone culture. I want to hear from the loved ones who have lost someone to methadone deaths, the loved ones who are losing someone to methadone life, I want to hear from the methadone users, and I want all the same from the other side. I plan to reach out and explore what the people at the clinics believe, I want to hear from the pharmaceutical companies and the government run committees that "regulate" this drug. * * * *Please help me bring a strong voice out to the world that tells the full story of methadone. You can contact me directly by emailing voiceweneed@gmail.com. Tell me about yourself, what drew you to reach out and where you are from. I look forward to hearing from you.* * * *All the best!* * * *Angelica*

Share | 

the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monika.anderson.5

PostSubject: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am

tip to parents - ONE METHADONE PILL KILLS (aka wafer) - many are convinced to take it for a headache, toothache, tattoo appt, many are not even told it is methadone, each person's body reacts differently to this drug, what would be a therapeutic dose for one person is lethal for another. While pro-methadone advocates preach how "methadone saves lives" that may be true for some, but they leave out it's lethal qualities and it ability to cause respiratory distress when used with a sleeping pill. Since methadone usually kills the first time you take it, many of our young people that die, and leave behind the story of why they took it, who gave it to them, if they even knew it was methadone. The methadone industry is a BILLION DOLLAR A YEAR INDUSTRY and are SERIOUSLY TRYING TO PROTECT THEIR MONEY, they constantly CLOUD THE TRUTH OF IT'S LETHAL QUALITIES. Please do not fall into the trap of "NOT MY CHILD" . Years ago this drug was administered on a daily basis by a methadone clinic administrator, only after many years were you allowed to take this lethal medication home. Now, the lethal pills are allowed to be taken home the very first week that a person decided to try methadone as a method to get off of opiates. Since these new regulations have passed the methadone overdose rate has risen over 600 percent and that percentage is from 2009, we speculate that is much higher now. And the pharmaceutical industry that is involved in this new lax procedure are vehemently denying it is coming from the clinics. Why because there are billions of dollars at stake, they will lose billions of dollars by admitting that this may be the case. And for the people out there who say "serves them right, or "oh well, it is the person's fault" Think back when you were younger, when you may of done something that now that you look back "what was I thinking!?!" Whether it was stealing that pack of gum at the store, to maybe getting behind the wheel once in which you think back and say, "that was not a good idea" Young people have a sense of invincibleness, that does not leave them until they are at about the age of 25. To say that a young person should die because of this and that we should not maybe make the proper changes that are for the best for young people who were on their way to be good upstanding citizens and to just brand them "drug addicts" in which the parents and loved ones of the overdose victim are riddled with shame making them keep quiet at the injustice that is more than obvious is very wrong. And to just give in to powerful corporations that's only purpose seems thrive on pushing as many medications out into the market place to increase the profits of the pharmaceutical industry is also very wrong. I am asking you to step back and try and let your conscious be your guide and I am asking you to have mercy to all the young people in the future that will assuredly meet this fate by forcing the government to make the greedy corrupt pharmaceutical corporations and methadone clinics to put in place the proper safety precautions that were instituted in prior to the year 2000 when the methadone related overdose rates were 790 per year instead of 5,500 per year and climbing. My very last conversation with my son after he was convinced that taking a pain medication for a 6 hour tattoo appt was ok after I said it was not ok, was to remember that medications can cause adverse reactions and that he should not take a medication without a prescription and I reminded him how when he took a medication years ago how it caused a strange reaction, he told me to stop calling him he was on a date and I was embarrassing him. He later text me "sorry" It was a strange text and I wanted to text him back but I did not to embarrass him on his date so I left him alone. He fell asleep and everyone that was with him that night said he appeared perfectly normal, which is another deadly characteristic of the drug, and he never woke up. As I think back of that last text, tears stream down my eyes of how my son met that fate. And how the next week the person who sold him these methadone pain pills called my deceased son's cell phone and his twin answered and how he asked for my son and Joe told him he died after he had given him those pills, the person a methadone patient who needed money in the next sentence said, sorry to hear that, do you know anyone that needs these pills? We found out later he was heroin user desperate for his fix not caring who got killed in the process. the methadone clinics hand out an average of 120 mg of methadone pills a week. They are sold for one dollar a mg. That is pretty good money for some corrupt greedy people/addicts. And what do you think they do with the 120 dollars they get a week? Well heroin is a very cheap 40 dollar a day habit, of course to fund their drug habit it is a high last for a few days, or as a way for lazy, greedy, corrupt people to make a little extra cash. And who pays for this to happen!?! We do!! The taxpayers!! And to think that a drug that was once so controlled and so carefully regulated for A VERY IMPORTANT REASON is now handed out like vitamins, to people that (some - not all) relapse and are desperate for a fix and do not care who they kill in the process. What is also sad is that the methadone clinics are federally funded which means our tax payer money is paying them to be negligent on who they give these deadly pills to and in the process kill a lot of young people with our money! Methadone is killing FAR FAR FAR more than heroin. The overdoes rates are astronomical. The nation is bracing itself when the recent figures come out. The last figures were from 2009, that was 4 years ago! No one talked about the prescription overdose rates then! Just think how bad those figures will be! Staggering! So do not buy into the greedy corporations that are clouding the truth and preaching methadone saves lives, yes it does for some but others it will kill. Fight for the laws to be put in place that were implemented years ago that were there for A VERY GOOD REASON. There is nothing I can do to bring my son back but the pain I feel not many people can even imagine. And when my son Matthew was little, he always said "that is not far" It was not because he always wanted to get his way, but he always wanted things to be fair. And if anyone really knew my son, they knew he stood up for what is right and fair. He was the definition of a real friend. I am asking people to open their eyes and to see behind the mirage that put out their about methadone, to stand up for what right and fair. The websites that have education about methadone are mostly employed by pro-methadone advocates that cloud the truth and with statements are half-truths to protect their billion dollar investment. Think about it, if you had a methadone clinic and a person who wanted to get off heroin or opiate pills walks in and is interested in using methadone as a method to get off heroin, if you were to tell them you have to come in every day to get your dose, it would take years to be approved for take home pills, many people would say, that is too much trouble, I think I will try and go to a rehab, etc. Since the take home pills were approved the methadone clinics to let the patient take home the pills in the first week of treatment business grew by like 500 percent and more! They would lose a lot of money! I am talking about billions of dollars! I do not know if you understand the power that is behind billions of dollars! The profit they get is astronomical. One does of methadone costs two dollars it is billed by the methadone clinic as 30 dollars a dose! Right after the new lax laws of take home pills were implemented The overdose rates first started sky rocketing in 2001 the Bush administration ask a panel of experts to find out why the methadone overdose rates were sky rocketing. After two years of studying the reason they concluded although the report was not complete but that these overdose rates had nothing to do with the methadone clinics now giving out take home pills, it had to do with the doctors writing out methadone pain medication because that would not really effect the industry monetarily they would just put a warning label on the prescription. You can look it up on wikipedia look up methadone and look at the bottom of the webpage under the title mortality. It was later made public that one of the persons on the panel the person who wrote this report was a Mr. Leavitt, he works for and writes methadone safety precautions for guess who!? Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals the prime manufacturer of methadone! They would lose billions of dollars if they would have said it did have to do with the methadone clinics, as well as lawsuits! That much money can make people extremely greedy and corrupt. Look up his name under google you will see! By the time the panel concluded to this obviously incorrect answer it was 2003 and the overdose rate was over 350 percent. Now it is continuing to climb and the to over 600 percent. So I am asking you to do what is right, what is fair, to have mercy on our young people, who like ourselves at one point in our lives where in that stage of invincibleness that we all, although many of us are ashamed to admit, have experienced.... To do the right thing and make them go back to the safer dispensing method. And I want to make one more point. I want to warn you if you even hint around that this is the case that the overdose rates are caused primarily by the methadone pills aka wafers leaving the clinic, and being given away or sold. You will find the pro-methadone advocates attack you so viciously, from calling your prejudice and labeling them to bringing up that obviously incorrect report in 2003, to attacking your deceased child. I mean the methods they use are over the top cruel and extreme, even using methadone patients to defend the clinics, accusing us to saying the staff or the owners of the methadone clinics are corrupt. This may I tell you is JUST A PLOY to protect BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. And it is very easy to beat down a fragile grief stricken parent or loved one of the deceased. And like I said earlier, I do not think you know just how much power and the level of corruption that billions of dollars can cause. But let me make a case in point. Think back when we had Blood Banks, and people sold their blood for money. Then in the early 80's the Aid virus came into play. We then created a test which tested the blood, asking the donor to please not donate if they are a hiv user or participated in unsafe sex or had a partner that may have, that as a result someone can get hiv. The donor would say no and the blood was tested and sometimes still was positive. Well then they found out that the blood was positive they threw it away. Ok well then they thought the problem was solved and still bought donor's blood. Then they realized that their is a 6 month period in which the hiv virus was dormant and some of the blood that was used as blood transfusions ended up giving a innocent person aids. So then they realized that even if they told donor of how important it is and how if they did not do this that they could cause someone's death they still lied, and how they needed to come up with a different method to get blood. So they asked for good samaritans to become life time members donating blood, asked for family members to donate donor specific blood and they do corporate blood drives in which blood bank buses will go to the work place and ask employees to consider giving blood. When you give blood they say at the end if you feel that your blood in any way is comprimised and should not be used, that maybe you felt pressured to give blood by your boss or coworkers to just check this box on the form and we will not use the blood. And guess what happened? Even though there is still a 6 month incubation period of the hiv virus, the blood donated is virtually hiv virus free! No one blamed the staff at the blood blanks for this tragedy or the reason this had to change. Well, you ask why am I bringing this up? Well the type of people that used to go to the blood banks are some of the same type of people that go to the methadone clinics, they lied back then and cost 1,000's of lives even though they were told that their dishonesty could cause someone to die, and why are we expecting the same type of people to act differently now? That even though they are told giving these pills to other can very well kill that they would not do it anyway, because some of them just want money or to get their drug of choice. Just like some of the same blood donors did when they were told if they lie and still sell their blood someone could get the virus and die!?! Why are we expecting different results and why are the staff, methadone clinic owners and Pharmaceutical companies acting like when we even hint around this may be the case they flip out and go into a frenzy. Like I said earlier this is just a ploy to protect their money.... So be prepared for a fight! And if 2% of the pain medication prescribed was truly the source of over 30 percent of the overdoses we are experiencing today, then why don't we just make prescribing methadone for pain illegal and all of problems would be solved, just like they make darvacet illegal?! Because then the truth will really be exposed!! And to add on one more point. Many of us will find that people will be reluctant to help us fight this fight and to help to change any of these laws. They will say if your child had obtained the methadone illegally that they do no want to be involved defending someone that has done a criminal activity. Ok, well can I please ask you to really think about it, after you have read all this. Who is the criminal?! Who is the REAL CRIMINAL. The young person that makes a fateful mistake or the greedy corporations that continues to hide the truth and has the ability to twist arms of very important decision making people because of the sheer magnitude and power that billions of dollars can produce? Knowing that what they are doing is causing the deaths of so many?!? Who is the real criminal?

Last edited by monika.anderson.5 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 am

Good Job Monika!

Tonya
Back to top Go down
http://stopmethadonedeaths.forumotion.com
monika.anderson.5

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 am

thanks the truth needs to be heard!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 am

Yes it does LOUD and CLEAR!

Tonya
Back to top Go down
http://stopmethadonedeaths.forumotion.com
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you Monika !!! XXOO
Back to top Go down
rosie

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 pm

monika...i would like to add about the over doses in children...some people keep their methadone by their bed...in their fridge...and their kids go and drink it. if i child gets hold of it they are dead for sure....even by one tiny sip. how many child overdoses has there been?

and may i just add......the whole thing surrounding methadone is that why is it used in replacement for detox's? a heroin addict detox's from heroin for seven days......surely there should treatment centres for this....a quick detox. it doesnt work for addiction therapy and just chains addicts into a deeper and stronger addiction, i think statistics all over the world show this...

Back to top Go down
LoriQ

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:42 pm

As I do agree that methadone clinics should be shut down and that they are corrupt and do not tell you the lethal effects of this drug I have to disagree with one thing you mentioned. You stated you are allowed to take this drug home the first week. I can't speak for all the clinics but at my clinic you have to have 3 clean unrine tests in a row before you are allowed to have a sunday bottle. They only test you once a month so it takes 3 months before you can have a sunday bottle. Then it takes another 3 clean urines tests to get a saturday bottle. Then another 3 clean urine tests to get 3 take home bottles. Plus you have to go to group twice a week. If you have an unexcused absence from group you lose your take home bottles. If you produce a dirty urine test, you lose your take home bottles. I'm just saying what my clinic does.
Back to top Go down
rosie

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 pm

sounds as if they have a good plan...to make it intolerable for you so you want to get off the stuff. where as in england i was given as much as i wanted- when i wanted....weekly pick ups.
Back to top Go down
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 pm

It is common that a large part of Methadone Clinics in the United States do give out Sunday Take Home doses on Saturday to new patients. What is shocking is the deaths that can occur the 1st and 2nd weeks of induction. The patients are not being properly assessed before or after dosing. Normally patients see a Dr. the week they begin taking the Methadone. All kinds of excuses are made if the patient ask to see the Dr. for any reason in the future. Changes have to be made in order to save lives and with us all standing together Our Voices will be heard. The Public and the Medical Field have to be educated on the Facts of Methadone.
Back to top Go down
monika.anderson.5

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Yes it is disgusting what is going on and very sad that children have died from it. My son was in a sober living and one guy was so high on methadone if he was not high I do not know what high is... He was using methadone to get high, it was just legal way of getting high my son was like I thought this was sober living... some people just abuse the drug. My son ended up leaving because of that...
Back to top Go down
LoriQ

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Monika,

At my clinic they aren't pills that you take home. What they do at my clinic and whether it's a take home bottle or you take it at the clinic, they take the pills and they dissolve them in warm water and then add juice in a cup. But still I agree with you, they don't stress enough how dangerous this stuff is. When I first started methadone, no one told me you can't drive home. While driving home the first time I could've been killed or have killed someone else. I could not stay awake! I know I had to be driving like I was drunk. They shouldn't allow people when they first start methadone to drive. So, after the first time I had to get a friend to go with me to drive me home. I am now on a 21 day detox which started just the other day on Wednesday. I cannot wait to be done. Just the little that I see what goes on at this clinic is disgusting. I spoke to my own counselor which is a licensed professional and when I told her about the counselor I have at the clinic she told me she is disgusted and appauled to know there is someone like that working in her profession. She is dangerous to the people she thinks she is helping. She does not have a lick of sense. I am sure there is a lot more that goes on that I don't know about. I would love to see a group of people picketing at the end of the driveway to the clinic. You are right it is all about the money. The longer they can keep people on methadone the better. They don't want to see people get off. They want to squeeze your insurance card dry. And yes I know there are people at the clinic that get their take home bottles and sell it. The people they sell it to could die for all they know but they don't care. These are young people selling their methadone to another young person and they don't care. And oh yeah when I say something against the clinic there are people ready to defend the clinic and say how much methadone saved their lives. Like today, I quit going to the group sessions they make you go to twice a week. One of the girls laughed because I was quitting. As if I am stupid that I am going to relapse and be right back up there because she told me last week I will be back. Well, I have news for them. I will never go back to using again and I will never be back to the clinic, although I wouldn't mind rubbing it into their faces once in a while telling them how great I am doing. You see, I should never have started this methadone. I am almost 51 years old and I became addicted to prescription pain pills about 2 years ago. I had withdrawal symptoms when I wouldn't take them. So I thought I would seek help. I knew nothing about methadone, methadone clinics, addiction, recovery nothing. I have never been addicted to anything before this. I don't even drink. This has been an experience for me I'll tell you. I have learned a lot since I started with the clinic in october 2012. I have no respect for the counselor I had up there, she still lives like an addict. Do you know she can't even have a bank account because she can't manage her money? She admitted that she still lies and scams only know she scams the system. What is that about? Oh well, I am so glad to be getting done with this clinic. I just wish I knew of a way to close the clinic I go to. At least till the entire staff is reeducated and stricter policies put in place. I don't think anyone should ever have take home bottles. It is much too dangerous.
Back to top Go down
LoriQ

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Bren ONeal wrote:
It is common that a large part of Methadone Clinics in the United States do give out Sunday Take Home doses on Saturday to new patients. What is shocking is the deaths that can occur the 1st and 2nd weeks of induction. The patients are not being properly assessed before or after dosing. Normally patients see a Dr. the week they begin taking the Methadone. All kinds of excuses are made if the patient ask to see the Dr.  for any reason in the future. Changes have to be made in order to save lives and with us all standing together Our Voices will be heard. The Public and the Medical Field have to be educated on the Facts of Methadone.

Oh yeah as you know Bren, I only saw the doctor 1 time and that was the first day. I have been there for almost 9 months and I still haven't seen the doctor since. I once asked to see the doctor and I was denied. I did submit multiple complaints about this clinic to my insurance company and they did do an investigation.
Back to top Go down
LoriQ

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 pm

monika.anderson.5 wrote:
Yes it is disgusting what is going on and very sad that children have died from it. My son was in a sober living and one guy was so high on methadone if he was not high I do not know what high is... He was using methadone to get high, it was just legal way of getting high my son was like I thought this was sober living... some people just abuse the drug. My son ended up leaving because of that...

Oh yeah. I go to a clinic but I am against these clinics with all my heart. They don't know how to run these clinics and they don't think how much danger they are putting these people in. They need to shut my clinic down and reeducate the entire staff and put new policies in place such as no take home bottles ever! Too many people have died from these take home doses and it needs to stop.
Back to top Go down
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Lori, We appreciate all of your input so that people will be able to come here and read about different Methadone Clinics across the United States.One thing I have learned over the years is that there can be 2 MMT/OTP Clinics side by side and they are normally run differently. Especially if they are not run by the same owner or owners. The Fees, Hours, Take Home Doses, Rules etc vary from Clinic to Clinic. The doctors that work at these Clinics are frequently retired and attend the Clinic once a week to meet with new patients. State and Federal Guidelines are not followed or enforced. The root of the problem has unfortunately turned to GREED by the owners and doctors. Patient safety does not come 1st. Deaths can occur within 2 weeks of induction and often go unreported to the CDC or any Authority. With your help Lori, our voices become stronger as we educate the Public and Medical Field.Thank you for sharing any valuable information and encouraging others.
Love, Bren
Back to top Go down
LoriQ

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Well, Bren, I need to learn who to call and how to learn of changes after I leave the clinic. If I had the money Bren, I would buy that clinic just to close it lol. But I would love to be able to help bring changes. I would love to go undercover to one of these clinics. Like act like I am drug sick and see how fast they take me in and record what all mistakes they make and then blow the whistle on them. Actually the DEA and the State Methadone Board ought to do that from time to time and the insurance companies also. This way they can catch them in their lies and dangerous practices. I would also love to see the IRS audit these clinics more often.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic    

Back to top Go down

the truth about methadone and the reason for the epidemic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1