Stop Methadone Deaths

To discuss and make the public aware of methadone dangers.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A Call For Voices *This is a call for voices. If you are a loved one of someone currently using methadone, or a loved one of someone who has passed away because of methadone use I would love to hear from you. I am a documentary filmmaker working one a film that will expose the realities of methadone and the effects it has on our society. I am asking for stories to share that will help reform regulation of this drug, and also take away the social stigma of what it is to be on methadone. * * * *My commitment to this film comes from a very real place in my life and the life of my family. My father has been on methadone for over 35 years. My brother for five. My family battles regularly with the health issues methadone creates for both my father and brother, as well as the social stigma's that come along with someone on this medication. * * * *I am driven to explore all angles of the methadone culture. I want to hear from the loved ones who have lost someone to methadone deaths, the loved ones who are losing someone to methadone life, I want to hear from the methadone users, and I want all the same from the other side. I plan to reach out and explore what the people at the clinics believe, I want to hear from the pharmaceutical companies and the government run committees that "regulate" this drug. * * * *Please help me bring a strong voice out to the world that tells the full story of methadone. You can contact me directly by emailing voiceweneed@gmail.com. Tell me about yourself, what drew you to reach out and where you are from. I look forward to hearing from you.* * * *All the best!* * * *Angelica*

Share | 

Ireland News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Ireland News   Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:14 pm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/drug-related-deaths-up-30-612874.html
Back to top Go down
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Re: Ireland News   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 am

29 January 2014

A FORMER doctor at Castlerea Prison has criticised plans to introduce a methadone programme in the facility within weeks

Castlerea prison is the only medium security prison in the country that was considered heroin free because it did not have a methadone clinic. Prisoners with heroin addictions needing treatment were housed at other facilities.

Now a GP who worked with inmates for 13 years has warned that the move to introduce methadone to the prison will be a "retrograde" step.
Back to top Go down
Bren ONeal

PostSubject: Re: Ireland News   Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Mother Reveals Final Photos of Son to Show Horrifying Effects of Drug Use

in News, Opinion / by Amanda Shea / on August 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm /

Mother Reveals Final Photos of Son to Show Horrifying Effects of Drug UseThe shocking photo of a boy addicted to painkillers who overdosed on methadone has recently been released by his mother in hopes to bring attention to the epidemic of addiction.

Kealan Burke, 22, began experimenting with the recreational drugs ecstasy when he was 17, before graduating to prescription painkillers such as diazepam. Five years later he was deep into his addiction using heroin and the medical substitute for it, methadone.

One year after Burke began abusing methadone he overdosed, going into a lengthy vegetative state before ultimately dying from the complications of his debilitation. His passing happened in February of 2009, one week after he turned 22.

His mother, Teresa Burke, took the heart-wrenching photo of her son while he was under medical care in his final days of life. She decided to put the picture out to the public in hopes it will save lives and prevent drug abuse in others.

The image forms part of a hard-hitting documentary his mother helped create, Metro reports.

Follow Us On Pinterest
“He was doubly incontinent; a quadriplegic; he couldn’t swallow; couldn’t hear and he couldn’t see,” Burke’s mother said. “We don’t think he could feel anything either. He was in a vegetative state. It was awful.”

Kealan, who was a second year student at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, Northern Ireland, was given a warning by police after being caught taking ecstasy in his teens. He ignored the advice, and his addiction quickly spiraled out of control.

Following his methadone overdoes, Kealan spent his last year receiving care every day and night in a nursing home.

“I want to show the reality of it,” Teresa Burke said, according to Mirror.co.uk. “Drugs might make you feel good for a short time, or even a long time, but they can kill you and leave devastated families behind.”

Teresa hopes others don’t experience the same plight as her son after seeing the documentary and this photo.

“It helps me enormously to know that Kealan’s life has been for a reason and that reason is to help someone else,” she said. “I would like to think that somebody out there will get the message and not take drugs.”

Share the message. You could save a life.

About Us
Social Media »

Subscribe

Mother Reveals Final Photos of Son to Show Horrifying Effects of Drug UseThe shocking photo of a boy addicted to painkillers who overdosed on methadone has recently been released by his mother in hopes to bring attention to the epidemic of addiction.

Kealan Burke, 22, began experimenting with the recreational drugs ecstasy when he was 17, before graduating to prescription painkillers such as diazepam. Five years later he was deep into his addiction using heroin and the medical substitute for it, methadone.

One year after Burke began abusing methadone he overdosed, going into a lengthy vegetative state before ultimately dying from the complications of his debilitation. His passing happened in February of 2009, one week after he turned 22.

His mother, Teresa Burke, took the heart-wrenching photo of her son while he was under medical care in his final days of life. She decided to put the picture out to the public in hopes it will save lives and prevent drug abuse in others.

The image forms part of a hard-hitting documentary his mother helped create, Metro reports.

Follow Us On Pinterest
“He was doubly incontinent; a quadriplegic; he couldn’t swallow; couldn’t hear and he couldn’t see,” Burke’s mother said. “We don’t think he could feel anything either. He was in a vegetative state. It was awful.”

Kealan, who was a second year student at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, Northern Ireland, was given a warning by police after being caught taking ecstasy in his teens. He ignored the advice, and his addiction quickly spiraled out of control.

Following his methadone overdoes, Kealan spent his last year receiving care every day and night in a nursing home.

“I want to show the reality of it,” Teresa Burke said, according to Mirror.co.uk. “Drugs might make you feel good for a short time, or even a long time, but they can kill you and leave devastated families behind.”

Teresa hopes others don’t experience the same plight as her son after seeing the documentary and this photo.

“It helps me enormously to know that Kealan’s life has been for a reason and that reason is to help someone else,” she said. “I would like to think that somebody out there will get the message and not take drugs.”

Share the message. You could save a life.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ireland News   

Back to top Go down

Ireland News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1