Stop Methadone Deaths
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stop Methadone Deaths

To discuss and make the public aware of methadone dangers.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
A Call For Voices *This is a call for voices. If you are a loved one of someone currently using methadone, or a loved one of someone who has passed away because of methadone use I would love to hear from you. I am a documentary filmmaker working one a film that will expose the realities of methadone and the effects it has on our society. I am asking for stories to share that will help reform regulation of this drug, and also take away the social stigma of what it is to be on methadone. * * * *My commitment to this film comes from a very real place in my life and the life of my family. My father has been on methadone for over 35 years. My brother for five. My family battles regularly with the health issues methadone creates for both my father and brother, as well as the social stigma's that come along with someone on this medication. * * * *I am driven to explore all angles of the methadone culture. I want to hear from the loved ones who have lost someone to methadone deaths, the loved ones who are losing someone to methadone life, I want to hear from the methadone users, and I want all the same from the other side. I plan to reach out and explore what the people at the clinics believe, I want to hear from the pharmaceutical companies and the government run committees that "regulate" this drug. * * * *Please help me bring a strong voice out to the world that tells the full story of methadone. You can contact me directly by emailing voiceweneed@gmail.com. Tell me about yourself, what drew you to reach out and where you are from. I look forward to hearing from you.* * * *All the best!* * * *Angelica*

Norway News

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bren ONeal
Bren ONeal

Norway News Empty
PostSubject: Norway News   Norway News EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Study: Taking methadone can double risk of getting in car wreck

Monday, January 02, 2012 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer
Tags: methadone, car wrecks, accidents

(NaturalNews) Former drug addicts trying to stay clean and individuals with severe pain are being prescribed methadone, a synthetic opioid, as supposed treatment. But a new study out of Norway suggests that men who take this powerful drug are twice as likely as those not taking it to get in a car wreck while driving.

Dr. Jrgen G. Bramness from the Norwegian Centre for Addiction Research at the University of Oslo evaluated data on methadone users and motor vehicle accidents spanning two and a half years. Of the 2,500 individuals identified as taking methadone, 26 of them were involved in a motor vehicle accident, while only about half that amount from a similar-sized, non-methadone group were involved in an accident.

Published in the journal Addiction, the study confirms much of what is already known about methadone's effects on users, which include its ability to severely impair mental and physical abilities. Methadone is also classified as a Schedule II drug, which means it is considered to be highly addictive, and to have a high potential for abuse.

"Many different things go into increasing traffic accident risk, like reduced attention, slowed reaction, slowed psychomotor performance, less accurate psychomotor performance, etc.," said Dr. Bramness in an email to Reuters Health. And all of these traffic accident risk factors can be brought about or exacerbated by the use of methadone.

Like alcohol, driving under the influence of methadone is dangerous because it can cause impaired awareness and extreme lethargy. Driving under the influence of methadone has become such a serious problem that some states have actually had to pass laws against it, including one passed earlier this year in Massachusetts that restricts commercial truckers from taking methadone and driving (http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-09/news/2...).

Despite the fact that an increasing number of traffic accidents are turning up to be related to methadone use and abuse, some authorities still believe that driving restrictions for methadone users are unnecessary. The Norway study, however, is just one more piece of compelling evidence to show that they may, indeed, be necessary -- and the study also suggests that some pharmaceutical drugs are just as much a public health threat to drivers as illicit street drugs or alcohol, if not more so.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034539_methadone_car_wrecks_accidents.html##ixzz2rcXg2zVe
Back to top Go down

Norway News
Page 1 of 1